Monday, December 7, 2009

Skyway Jack's: Home of the All-Day Breakfast!



It has been roughly 4 months since Mike and I last went to Toronto, but time has not faded my husband's memory of the amazing breakfast we had on our last trip. We headed back to Canada this past Saturday to meet up with our favorite Canadians, Still Motion-- I'll get to that story in a second. But first, I have to share the hilarity of what transpired en route to their studios.

Our flight was at 8:45am, which meant we had to leave our apartment by 6:30. It also meant we didn't have time to eat before our flight. No Garden State Diner this time around. After our volcano experience I knew to pack a snack, especially considering that it would probably be close to 11am by the time we made it out of the airport and into a restaurant in Canada. But Mike wasn't interested in the protein bar I offered to share on the plane-- he was saving his appetite for Skyway Jack's.

Honestly, I had forgotten all about Skyway Jack's. When we were standing in line at Customs in Toronto and Mike suggested we try to find "that place we ate at last time" I didn't think much of it. Much beyond, Good Lord, Please Don't Let Us Drive Around Until Dinner Time Trying to Find the Random Hole in the Wall We Ate Breakfast at 5 Months Ago Whose Name We Can't Remember .

But I should know better by now than to doubt my husband's ability to find food. No joke: his stomach gives better turn-by-turn directions than TomTom. Watching him behind the wheel of our rental car retracing his steps out of the airport last August was like something out of Rain Man. Okay, we headed out of Terminal 3 onto 409. Then we merged onto 401 and we took that for a while. Then we got off at that exit that didn't have a lot of stuff around it. Was it this one? No, no, too many buildings. Betcha it's the next one. Yes! This is it! Okay, then we were on this for a while... just past the bridge... we made a right at the McDonald's and then it was right next to the--ah! There it is!

And there it was: Skyway Jacks! Home of the All Day Breakfast. I really couldn't tell you what was so amazing about this place other than that they just make really good, simple food. And that with a slogan like "Home of the Healthy Portions" you know you won't leave there hungry.

As usual my order disappointed Mike. I did not take advantage of the "whole lotta food for not a lotta money" offer. In fact, I think my two eggs sunny side up/sliced tomato/no potato/dry toast special order cost more than Mike's selection off the menu: THE RANCHER. For $5.95 Canadian THE RANCHER gets you 3 Eggs, Grilled Sausage, Onions and Peppers, and Toast. And this was a modest breakfast by Skyway Jack's standards. Last time, Mike got THE RANGLER: 3 Eggs, Ground Beef, Peppers, Tomatoes, Onions & Cheddar Cheese. Wowsa. That is what Mike calls on his Facebook page "so much awesomeness on such a small plate."

No comments:

Post a Comment