Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Chrystalle does not care for prop planes.

Day Two- Lanai! But first, the Island Air flight to get to Lanai. Our flight was delayed an hour, which is probably the only thing that has gone wrong for us yet on our trip. Not too shabby, right? I wasn't complaining though because it gave me a much-needed free second to catch up with the blog. How crazy is that? We just started this thing yesterday and already I'm behind. But hey, we've been busy, man. Cut me some slack! So anyway, back at the airport. I plop down at the gate to start blogging away, and happen to see out of the corner of my eye another example of tourists behaving badly. Well, that's not really fair. Behaving strangely is more like it. This woman sitting across from me was eating Cheetos with chopsticks!! So I quick elbow Mike to tell him that I just saw the greatest thing ever, but he can't hear me at all when I whisper, so he just looks at me completely confused, and asks something like "Wha? You want chicken?" Yes, dear. That's it. It's 9:45am and I am asking you for chicken. "NO!" I say louder, sort of shouting now under my breath. Then, through my teeth, "Look. Over. There." And then he finally saw what I was talking about: "That's genius!" I'm like, Duh, I know! But then the Cheeto lady's plane was boarding so she left before we could snap a photo. Sorry, guys! Then not long after that some other chick walked by with a ukulele. Also high on the amusement factor for us, but we didn't get a picture of that either.

At about 10:30am my date with destiny began as it was time to board our bird to Lanai. Seriously this thing was nothing more than an overgrown buzzard. I was terrified. And Mike is sputtering some nonsense about how prop planes are just as safe as jets, if not safer. Right. I'll believe that when I see the stats. In the meantime, all that's safe is the statement that they are definitely not as comfortable as jets. I really thought I was going to hurl. Thankfully, I was able to keep down my breakfast and we were back on terra firma in just under 30 minutes. I imagine the views were spectacular during the quick flight, but you'll have to ask Mike. My eyes were squeezed shut the entire time.

2 comments:

  1. Harry;
    Didn't anyone tell you! The only way to overcome extreme fear flying on a prop plane is to eat Cheetos with chopsticks. Some ancient Hawaiian tradition honoring the God PutPut , God of the internal combustion engine. (-;
    BaBa

    BaBa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha you won't believe this, but this is not the first time I've heard of eating Cheetos with chopsticks! Some of my work friends have actually mentioned that they do that at the office. At first I thought they were kidding and then I thought they were crazy until I of course realized the genius of it... I have yet to try it out myself since I haven't been in the lucky position of having both Cheetos and chopsticks at my disposal at the same time, but I vow to try it one of these days. Guess it's not such strange behavior after all!

    ReplyDelete