Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Road to Hana






Hey, guess what I did on Saturday? Buy Dramamine! Actually, it's a homeopathic kind of Dramamine that isn't supposed to have any side effects like Dramamine can, and thankfully, it did not. I haven't actually taken Dramamine since I was a little kid, but I remember it always knocked me out, and as an added bonus, made me incredibly cranky. Weird, right? But it did keep me from barfing so when I saw it at the cafe, I mentioned to the girl behind the counter that I could have used it on the ferry yesterday. And being the good sales girl that she was, she quickly explained to me how I should buy this other rememdy they sell, Hyland's homeopathic motion sickness relief, for just a couple dollars more. She takes it herself (of course!) and I'll really need it on the road to Hana, which has "600 turns in less than 34 miles and 54 one-lane bridges."

--In case you have never heard of the road to Hana, it's basically the most scenic drive you could ever imagine along the coast of Maui. There's nothing actually in Hana per se, it's really just all the waterfalls and amazing views you see along the way to Hana Town that make the journey worthwhile. There are no real restaurants or anything because Hana has been kept undeveloped on purpose, so when you do the drive (which will take you a good 3 hours or more each way, depending on how many times you stop) it's recommended that you bring lunch with you.--

So back to the sales girl, this chick was awesome. Before we left there, she had upsold us from two sandwiches to motion sickness pills, a cooler bag, bug spray, and an audio CD providing a guided tour of the drive. Awesome. We were laughing the whole way out of town that she didn't talk us into flashlights, flares and tents in case we break down.

The drive to Hana itself was an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime sort of experience. It was definitely long (it took us 8 hours in all) so I wouldn't sign up to do it again, but it was a lot of fun and the views were unreal. And Mike is an excellent driver, so even with the grand total 1200 curves, I did not feel sick at all. The motion sickness pills helped too.

No comments:

Post a Comment